|Create Date||August 2, 2018|
|Last Updated||August 2, 2018|
Click DOWNLOAD for audio,TITLE for summary, On summary page click "here" for PPT
THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
3 “MOMENTS” OF SALVATION
- The “moment” of the Fathers decision. (to save)
- The “moment” of the Son’s work.
This includes, the incarnation-ministry-suffering-cricifixion-resurrection-ascention of Jesus and the sending of the Holy Spirit.
- The “moment” of the Holy Spirit’s work.
Begun with the formation of the church after Christ’s earthly work was finished.
It is this 3rd “moment” - the work of the Holy Spirit - that I wish to focus on today. As we proceed through the Book of Acts we have encountered the Spirit in a big way. From the coming of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost to the disciples being emboldened to proclaim Jesus and him crucified to the healing of the man who was crippled for 40 years. So this 3rd “moment” of salvation is the period of time when it is the Spirit who is most active in our lives, with the purpose of saving us, enabling us to respond to and to grow up into Christ.
It is the Spirit who indwells believers.
The question is;
“What difference does the indwelling Holy Spirit make to our lives?” We must not overlook or de-emphasize the person and ministry of the Spirit in our lives.
- It is he who incorporates us into the body of Christ (the Church).
- He reveals and teaches truth.
- He opens our eyes to understand and respond to the scriptures.
- He empowers us to proclaim truth and to preach Christ crucified.
- He enables us to love, to obey, to pray, to worship, to minister, to confess that Jesus is Lord. He guides, sanctifies, unifies, heals and gives hope.
- We are given the fruits of the Spirit for ministry.
Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, kindness, self-control.
WHAT CHRIST HAS DONE FOR US - THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN US
So it is the Spirit who brings about our spiritual union with Christ. Phil 2:1 and 3:3
Luke 24:49 (NIV) I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
This verse is packed with meaning:
- The Holy Spirit would be sent by Jesus
- The Father promised to send the Spirit
- The disciples had to wait in the city until the Holy Spirit came
- They would be clothed with power from on high
LESSONS FOR US
- ARE YOU JOYFUL? Their are many professing Christians today who are not filled with an inner joy. At times the burdens and business of living can really sap our strength and kill our joy. While speaking to the woman at the well Jesus had this to say to her.
John 4:13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
Jesus is referring to an artesian well. A natural spring, a fountain of life giving water that will never run dry. Nehemiah 8:10 (NIV) This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
- MAGNIFY THE LORD Often, the power and presence of the Spirit is not evident in our lives and consequently in the church and in our worship. Some have a form of godliness but are denied the power. Is this true of you? Evaluate yourself.
Psalm 34:3 (NKJV) Oh, magnify the Lord with me, And let us exalt His name together.
To magnify God does not mean to make God big, we can’t do that. But we can see God as big. How do you perceive God? Our worship of God rises or falls depending on our attitude towards him. Is God almighty, all powerful, omnipotent or are your expectations of God too small, too limited. Eph 1.18 Lord open the eyes of my heart, and let the light of your truth flood in.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
If you feel that your life is joyless? If your concept of God is limited? Do you feel spiritually dry?
One thing I know we can’t do, is try and work these things up. It must come from within.
- ADMIT BEFORE GOD Your plight. Lack of joy, lack of peace, lack of trust, impatience, a vision of God that is too small. Pray for an altered vision of God. Expect his intervention in your life. Wait on him.
- WAIT ON THE SPIRIT Perhaps we are not spending as much time in devotion and worship of God as we should. Listen for the “still small voice”. Get rid of the distractions, spent time developing your relationship with God. Be willing to wait on God.
In closing I would like to pray Eph 3:14-21 over you.
Ephesians 3:14-21 The Voice
14 It is for this reason that I bow my knees before the Father, 15 after whom all families in heaven above and on earth below receive their names, and pray:
16 Father, out of Your honourable and glorious riches, strengthen Your people. Fill their souls with the power of Your Spirit 17 so that through faith the Anointed One will reside in their hearts. May love be the rich soil where their lives take root. May it be the bedrock where their lives are founded so that together 18-19 with all of Your people they will have the power to understand that the love of the Anointed is infinitely long, wide, high, and deep, surpassing everything anyone previously experienced. God, may Your fullness flood through their entire beings.
20 Now to the God who can do so many awe-inspiring things, immeasurable things, things greater than we ever could ask or imagine through the power at work in us, 21 to Him be all glory in the church and in Jesus the Anointed from this generation to the next, forever and ever. Amen.